LACLIMA: what have we done in the last 6 months?
• We were at COP 25! LACLIMA participated in COP 25 in Madrid, with colleagues Caroline Prolo, Flavia Bellaguarda, André Castro, Rodrigo Sluminsky, Ana Paula Chagas, Alice Vogas, Caio Borges, Ana Trevizan, Paloma Costa and Beatriz Pagy; we then shared our view on the results of the COP in the webinar "Evaluation of the Results" of the Institute for Climate and Society (iCS) on February 10, 2020.
• We commented on the Review of the National Policy on Climate Change (PNMC) promoted by the Federal Senate: the final document was presented at COP 25 by Senator Fabiano Contarato. Read the publication here.
• We collaborated with the Brazilian chapter of the report "A look at the NDCs of Latin America from the Latin-American Observatory for Climate Action." Access the report here.
• We supported the event "Law, energy transition and climate change: regulation, litigation and compliance" held at the Brazilian Institute of Energy Law Studies on March 12, 2020.
• We celebrated World Earth Day in a live broadcast on Instagram with Professor Ana Maria Nusdeo (USP) and moderation by Fabiano Andrade Correa (FAO/ONU).
Our Law and Climate mini-course
• In April, LACLIMA combined with the Institute for Climate and Society and PUC-Rio to offer the course "Law and Climate Change: Introduction and Current Events." There were almost 500 registrations, with the admissions sold out in less than 48 hours. A great success!
• The classes covered from the basic concepts of the international climate change regime, to the national policy of climate change, the subject of climate adaptation, as well as carbon pricing instruments, including the carbon markets, corporate governance of climate and climate financing, climate litigation, human rights, human mobility and health, all from a legal perspective. An excellent mini-course to introduce the many cross-sectional subjects of climate and law. And we have much more to offer!
Look what else is ahead: Technical Groups - LACLIMA "TGs" • To provide continuity and to delve further into the subjects of our course, this month are launching the LACLIMA "TGs". The objective is to encourage the discussion and production of thematic content through the LACLIMA network.
• According to the responses to the form sent to you to suggest topics, 5 groups were selected:
1. Climate Litigation; 2. Carbon Markets; 3. Agriculture and Climate; 4. Climate Financing; and 5. Climate justice and human mobility.
• For the launch, we would like to invite you to a presentation session on May 14, 2020, at 19:00. At this time, we will explain the rules of adhesion and the functioning of the groups.
• Please register in advance for the meeting using this link. After registration, you will receive a confirmation email with information about how to join the meeting. We are waiting for you!
New series of posts about Law, Climate and the Economy
• Do not miss our series of posts on the many relationships between law, climate and the economy on the social networks from May 18, 2020.
And there is more news to come ... just wait! If you have not yet subscribed to our network, please send an email to email@example.com